Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Want Some Candy?

I typically do not recommend novels to people. Why? Everyone has different tastes in literature and if the person you recommend the book to doesn't like your selection, they talk badly about you for weeks on end. That being said however, I feel compelled to share with you a book I've not yet read, (it will be on my doorstep tomorrow - thanks Amazon!) yet I'm anxiously awaiting to read and experience it. "Candy Everybody Wants" is the newest release (today!) from Josh Kilmer-Purcell.

So, why am I excited about this new release? It's the 80's darling.. it's the 80's... when life was all about big hair, Dynasty, Deney Terrio (you DO remember 'Dance Fever' don't you?) and me clubbing the night away (and the next night and the next night and the next night..). 80's pop culture is something you had to live to believe. (and I've counted my blessings numerous times for still being alive to remember the days... yikes! The situations I found myself in back then... but, I digress. )

On Josh Kilmer-Purcell.com, the book is described as follows:

"Following his New York Times Best-selling “I Am Not Myself These Days,” Kilmer-Purcell returns with his hilarious fiction debut: “Candy Everybody Wants.” Set in the early 1980’s, the novel follows a starry-eyed gay teenager from Wisconsin to New York to Hollywood as he chases his dreams of celebrity. Surrounded by a quirky cast of family and friends, his chaotic journey teaches him that becoming America's sweetheart can sometimes leave a very bitter aftertaste."

An early review states:

"A balls out joy ride through eighties pop culture that enlightens as much as it exhilarates. As always, Kilmer-Purcell's astringent wit is nicely tempered by his obvious sympathy for human frailty."

ARMISTEAD MAUPIN
author of TALES OF THE CITY


Sounds like a good read to me!

Congratulations Josh, on the release of "Candy Everybody Wants"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't read this author yet, Kenn. Sounds like it will be a fun read. Please let us know how you like it.