Sunday, February 20, 2011

Saturday Cinnamon Rolls


One of my favorite breakfast treats is a delicious cinnamon roll.  The combination of tender bread-like dough, cinnamon, sugar, and a sweet glaze has grabbed my attention since I was a child. 

While I have grown accustomed to the store bought variety, I decided I would make my own.  I was pleasantly surprised at just how easy it is to make these pinwheels of cinnamony goodness. I can't wait to have one with my coffee this morning. 

For the Dough:

1 package of yeast
1/2 C warm (110-115 degrees) water
1/2C scalded milk
1/4C sugar
1/3 C unsalted butter (melted)
1tsp salt
1 egg
3 1/2 - 4C all-purpose flour

In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside.  In a large bowl, mix milk, sugar, melted butter, salt and egg.  Add 2 cups of flour and mix until smooth.  Add yeast mixture.  Mix in remaining flour until dough is easy to handle.  Kneed dough on a lightly floured surface for 5-10 minutes.  Place in a well-greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size, usually 1-1 1/2 hours. 


For the Filling:

1/2C melted butter, plus more for the pan
3/4C sugar, plus more for the pan
2 T cinnamon
3/4C raisins, walnuts, or pecans, (optional)

When doubled in size, punch down the dough.  Roll out on a floured surface into a 15 by 9-inch rectangle.  Spread melted butter all over the dough.  Mix the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the buttered dough.  If you wish to add raisins, walnuts, or pecans, sprinkle them over the sugar coated dough and lightly press into the dough. 

Beginning at the 15inch side, roll dough in a log shape and pinch edges together to seal.  Cut into 12-15 slices using a clean sharp knife. 


Coat the bottom of a baking pan (I used a half sheet pan) with butter and sprinkle with sugar.  Place cinnamon roll slices close together in the pan and let rise until dough is doubled, about 1 hour.  Bake for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven until lightly browned. 

For the Glaze: 

4T butter (melted)
2C powdered sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
3-4T hot water

To make the glaze, mix butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla.  Add hot water 1 tablespoon at a time until the glaze reaches the desired consistency.  Spread over the slightly cooled rolls.

4 comments:

Perfecting Pru said...

I love cinnamon buns but I never make them. Too tempting! I can imagine that coffee and a bun was wonderful this morning. I hope you are having a great weekend.

Carol said...

I made cinnamon rolls this morning, too! I love the feel of the dough when I'm kneading it and the smell of them baking. It's a great way to start the day! Your recipe is alittle different from the one I have...next time I'll make yours! See you tomorrow.

Elaine said...

They look wonderful, Kenn! There's nothing like a fresh, hot cinnamon roll in the morning. Thank you for sharing your recipe with us. Your photos are beautiful.

mike509 said...

Aackkk! Missed these! But remember when you and I made Everyday Food cinnamon rolls in December one weekend? Those were pretty good too! These look better, they have "icing". :) Wonderful!